Allgäu cheese spätzli with fried onions
- Divide the cheese into three, place in the blender jug and process for 10 seconds/speed setting 8. Empty the cheese into a bowl and set aside, then thoroughly clean the container.
- Add the flour, eggs, 1 teaspoon of salt and 150 ml water to the blender jug, then mix for 3 minutes/knead button to create a smooth dough. Remove the dough from the blender, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rest for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Fill a large saucepan with plenty of water, add some salt and bring to a boil. Press the dough through a spätzle noodle maker or grater and into the saucepan, a portion at a time. Cook the noodles until they begin to float to the surface, then lift them out using a slotted spoon and place in a warm bowl. Continue doing this until all the spätzle dough is used up.
- Peel and slice the onions into thin rings, then toss in flour. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan and fry the onion rings until golden brown. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen towel.
- Heat the rest of the butter and toss the spätzle in it. Stir in the cheese and mix well until it begins to melt. Garnish with the fried onions to serve.
TIP: If you do not have a dedicated spätzle grater or press, you can simply spread the dough thinly over a large chopping board, rest this on the edge of the saucepan and then, using a pastry cutter, scrape the spätzli straight into the boiling water a portion at a time.
Bon appétit with Monsieur Cuisine