Baguette - Traditional French bread
Ready in: 3:45 h
Preparation time: 30 min.
Created on: 04.08.2016
Last changes: 15.02.2018
- Grease the inside of a large bowl. Add 330 ml water and the crumbled yeast to the blender jug and heat for 2 minutes/37 °C/speed setting 2. Add the flour and salt, then knead all the ingredients together using the knead button/2 minutes. Transfer the dough to the greased bowl, cover with a clean tea towel, then leave to rise in a warm place at a constant temperature until doubled in size (90 minutes).
- Dust the work surface with flour, then divide the dough into three equal portions. Shape each one into a flattened rectangle. Fold each corner into the middle, pressing the dough rather than kneading it order to preserve the air bubbles. Cover the dough with a damp cloth or foil and leave to rise for another 20 minutes. Repeat the above step.
- Shape the dough into baguettes and place on a tray lined with baking paper, pulling up the paper between each baguette a little to prevent them sticking together. Cover and leave to rise once more for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the roasting pan in the oven on the bottom shelf, place a second baking tray on top, then pre-heat the oven to 250 °C. Using a sharp knife, dipped in hot water, make three diagonal slits in the top of each baguette. Fill the roasting pan with 100 ml hot water and place the baguettes and baking paper on top of the second baking tray. Close the oven door immediately and bake the baguettes for 20 minutes until golden brown. If the baguettes seem to be browning too quickly, reduce the oven temperature to 230 °C.
- Remove the baguettes from the oven and leave to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
Bon appétit with Monsieur Cuisine