Cheddar scones with rosemary
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C, and line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper. Whisk the egg in a small bowl, setting 1 tablespoon of it aside for brushing the scones.
- Roughly dice the cheddar. Wash the rosemary, pat dry and remove the needles. Put both ingredients into the blender jug and, with the measuring beaker in place, chop for 10 seconds/speed setting 7.
- Next add the flour, cream of tartar, salt, milk, the egg and the butter in pieces and, with the measuring beaker in place, knead with the knead button/2 minutes.
- Knead the dough again on a floured work surface and roll out the dough, ensuring it is 2 cm thick. Cut out a total of 20 circles using a glass (6 cm diameter), dusting the rim with flour after each one. Place the circles of dough on the baking sheets.
- Whisk the reserved egg with 1 teaspoon of water and brush it on the scones with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with chilli flakes or dried herbs as desire and bake each sheet of scones in turn for 20 minutes each until golden. Carry out a skewer test using a wooden cocktail stick to check whether the scones are cooked, and bake for a little longer if necessary.
- Allow the scones to cool. Cut through them horizontally and fill as desired.
Suitable fillings are cream cheese, ham, salami or thinly sliced cheese.
Bon appétit with Monsieur Cuisine