- Put the raisins, candied orange and lemon peels in a bowl, pour the rum over, mix, and allow to infuse for 1 hour.
- Put the milk at room temperature, the yeast and sugar into the blender jug and, with the measuring beaker in place, heat up for 3 minutes/37 °C/speed setting 1. Allow this pre-ferment to prove for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the lemon in hot water, rub dry and grate the peel into the blender jug. Add the flour, butter in chunks, vanilla sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and bitter almond flavouring and, with the measuring beaker in place, knead into a smooth dough with the knead button/2 minutes.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead in the rum-and-raisin mixture by hand. Then put the dough in a bowl greased with butter, cover with a damp tea towel and allow to prove in a warm place for at least 30 minutes, until it has doubled in volume.
- Clean the blender jug thoroughly and pre-heat the oven to 200 °C.
- Put the dough on a floured surface and, with floured hands, knead through again thoroughly, then shape it into a long loaf. Use the rolling pin to flatten about half of the Stollen slightly along the long edge. Fold the thicker part over it and create a loaf shape again using your hands. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil, and then with greaseproof paper. Place the Stollen on top, cover and allow to prove again for 30 minutes.
- Bake the Stollen for 45 minutes. If it becomes too dark, cover it with aluminium foil.
- While the Stollen is still warm, put the chopped butter at room temperature into the blender jug and, with the measuring beaker in place, melt for 1 minute 30 seconds/50 °C/speed setting 1. Brush the melted butter over the Stollen, then sieve the icing sugar directly over the top.
If you are serving the Stollen to children, replace the rum with orange juice.
To store the cooled Stollen, first wrap it in aluminium foil and then put it in an airtight bag. When stored in a cool, dark place, the Stollen will stay fresh for up to 3 weeks. The flavour of fruit and spices permeates the whole Stollen while stored.
Bon appétit with Monsieur Cuisine