Crispy duck with Chinese plum sauce
Ready in: 2:05 h
Preparation time: 20 min.
Created on: 30.01.2019
- Wash the duck thoroughly inside and out and pat it dry. Mix the five-spice powder with 1 teaspoon of salt and rub it into the duck.
- Peel and slice the ginger. Place the sliced ginger, star anise and cinnamon in the cavity. Put the duck in the deep steamer basket, breast side down, and close the lid.
- Peel the carrot, parsnip and onion. Trim the leek and wash it thoroughly. Cut the vegetables into rough pieces, put them into the blender jug and, with the measuring beaker in place, chop for 5 seconds/speed setting 7. Use the spatula to scrape the pieces down the inside of the blender jug.
- Add the cold chicken stock and 600 ml cold water, attach the deep steamer basket and cook the duck with the steamer button/1 hour.
- Pre-heat your fan oven to 160 °C. Mix 2 teaspoons of plum jam, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of water together in a bowl to make a marinade.
- Lift the cooked duck out of the deep steamer basket, place in a shallow roasting tin, breast side up, and brush with the marinade. Pour 100 ml hot water around the duck.
- Roast the duck on the middle shelf of the hot oven for 45 minutes until brown and crisp, basting it at intervals with the marinade.
- Meanwhile, strain the stock from the blender jug through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring beaker. Put the vegetables in the sieve aside for later. Rinse out the blender jug and wipe any duck fat away from the edge.
- Skim the layer of fat off the stock. Pour 500 ml stock back into the blender jug and, without the measuring beaker in place, simmer for 30 minutes/speed setting 1/120 °C. Insert the measuring beaker and leave the sauce to stand in the closed blender jug until the duck is cooked.
- Five minutes before the cooking time is up, switch on the oven grill and grill the duck until its skin is crispy.
- Add the rest of the marinade, the remaining plum jam and 2 tablespoons of cubed vegetables to the stock in the blender jug, and, with the measuring beaker in place, blend for 15 seconds/speed setting 7. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take the duck out of the oven and carve it up. Arrange the pieces on plates and serve with the sauce.
Basmati rice goes well with this dish.
Bon appétit with Monsieur Cuisine