Mattentaart (cheesecake in puff pastry)
- To make the pastry, put the ice-cold cubed butter, 1 teaspoon of salt, sugar and 90 ml cold water in the blender jug and, with the measuring beaker in place, knead together for 25 seconds/speed setting 4. Take the soft dough out of the blender jug, transfer to a floured worktop and shape into a ball. Wrap it in clingfilm and leave it to rest for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Clean out the blender jug.
- Put the dough on a floured worktop, press it flat and shape it into a rectangle. Then fold the dough into the centre from both sides to create a three-layered rectangle. Wrap the dough in clingfilm again and chill in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out towards the open sides to form a rectangle 25 cm long, then fold the sides into the middle again. Wrap the dough in clingfilm once more and chill in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes. Repeat the process (folding twice and chilling twice) another two times.
- To make the filling, separate the eggs and insert the mixer attachment into the blender jug. Put the egg whites into the blender jug and, the measuring beaker not inserted, beat until stiff for 4 minutes 30 seconds/speed setting 4. Halfway through, add the sugar and vanilla sugar through the filler opening. Decant the beaten egg whites and put them in the refrigerator to chill until you need them again.
- Put 3 egg yolks and the ground almonds in the blender jug and, with the measuring beaker in place, mix for 30 seconds/speed setting 4. Add the beaten egg whites and stir in with the spatula.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C.
- Cut the puff pastry in two and roll each piece out to form a square measuring 30 x 30 cm. Grease the ramekins with butter and dust with breadcrumbs. Using one of the ramekins as a cutter, cut 12 circles out of the puff pastry by pressing the edge firmly into it.
- Line the ramekins with 6 of the pastry circles, forming a little raised edge all the way around, then fill them with the cream cheese and egg mixture. Place another pastry circle on top of each ramekin as a lid, and press the edges down gently.
- Whisk the egg yolk with the milk and spread the mixture over the pastry lids. Bake the mattentaarts for 25 minutes. Take them out of the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes, then carefully remove them from the ramekins and transfer them to a wire rack to cool down completely.
You could replace the cream cheese with 230 g quark (20% fat).
If you're in a rush, you could also use fresh ready-made puff pastry from the chiller section.
Bon appétit with Monsieur Cuisine