- Pre-heat your fan oven to 100 °C.
- Put the sugar in the blender jug and, with the measuring beaker in place, process for 10 seconds/speed setting 8 until you have a fine powder. Repeat the process if necessary.
- Insert the mixer attachment into the blender jug. Add the egg whites to the powdered sugar in the blender jug and, with the measuring beaker in place, beat for 10 minutes/speed setting 2/37 °C.
- Add the vanilla extract and, with the measuring beaker in place, beat again for 5 minutes/speed setting 2/37 °C.
- Put the mixture into a piping bag and pipe dots onto a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes in the pre-heated oven. Switch the oven off and, keeping the door closed, leave the meringues to cool.
You could add different flavourings to the meringues. For coffee meringues, substitute the vanilla extract for 15 ml espresso coffee and ½ teaspoon of coffee syrup. To make lemon meringues, use 5 drops of lemon flavouring and 15 ml lemon juice instead of the vanilla extract.
Store the meringues in a sealed biscuit tin in a cool and dry place. They will keep for several weeks.
You could use the pulp of ½ vanilla pod instead of the vanilla extract.
Bon appétit with Monsieur Cuisine