- Wash the parsley, shake it dry, tear off the leaves and put them in the blender jug. Peel the garlic cloves and add them to the blender jug along with the lemon zest. With the measuring beaker in place, chop with the turbo button/2 seconds, then decant the herb mixture (gremolata). Rinse out the blender jug.
- Peel and halve the onion. Trim, wash and peel the carrots, wash and trim the celery, and cut both into 4-cm pieces. Wash the sprig of rosemary, shake it dry and tear off the needles. Put the vegetables and rosemary into the blender jug and, with the measuring beaker in place, chop for 10 seconds/speed setting 5, then decant.
- Rinse the veal shanks with cold water, pat them dry and remove any stringy tendons. Cut the meat from the bone and then into 5-cm chunks. Set the bones aside.
- Put the beef and sunflower oil into the blender jug and, the measuring beaker not inserted, brown it with the roast button. Add the vegetables and tomato purée and, the measuring beaker not inserted, brown with the roast button/8 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, bones, 1 teaspoon of salt and 3 pinches of pepper, and, with the measuring beaker in place, warm with the reverse button/1 hour/90 °C/speed setting 1.
- Mix the cornflour together with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Remove the measuring beaker, add the cornflour mixture to the blender jug through the filler opening and, the measuring beaker not inserted, continue cooking with the reverse button/30 minutes/90 °C/speed setting 1.
- Remove the bones from the blender jug. Serve the ossobuco sprinkled with the gremolata.
Pasta, rice and potatoes all make good accompaniments.
Count exactly how many bones have gone into the blender jug so that you can be sure that you have removed them all later.
If you prefer, you can substitute 100 ml of the vegetable stock with white or red wine.
Ossobuco will often taste even better the next day, or the day after that. You can also make it in advance, keep it in the refrigerator and them warm it up again before serving.
Bon appétit with Monsieur Cuisine