- Wash the tomatoes, remove the stalks and cut each tomato into 4 slices. Drain the balls of mozzarella and cut each one into 6 slices, then slice each of these down the middle so that you end up with 24 pieces of mozzarella.
- Place the minced meat, egg, salt, pepper and herbs in the blender jug, insert the measuring beaker and mix evenly for 1 minute/speed setting 4. Lightly oil the deep steamer basket and the shallow steamer basket. With damp hands, form 24 meatballs, each about the size of a table tennis ball, out of the meat mixture and place these at even distances in the deep and shallow steamer baskets. Place 1 slice of tomato on top of each meatball. Clean out the blender jug thoroughly.
- To make the tomato sauce, peel the onion and garlic cloves and place them in the blender jug. Insert the measuring beaker and chop finely using the turbo button/3 seconds. Using the spatula, push the onion and garlic back down the walls of the blender jug, add the oil and sauté everything using the roast button/2 minutes/110 °C, without the measuring beaker inserted.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, warm vegetable stock, herbs and sugar to the blender jug. Place the shallow steamer basket in the deep steamer basket, place on top of the blender jug, lock them in place and cook using the steamer button/25 minutes. 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time, carefully lift the lid and lift out the shallow steamer basket, place a piece of mozzarella on top of each meatball, put everything back and cook until done.
- Take out both steamer baskets and set them to one side. Mix the cornflour with 50 ml cold water until smooth, add to the blender jug, insert the measuring beaker and bring to a boil for 3 minutes/100 °C/speed setting 2. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the meatballs with the sauce. The meatballs go well with pasta or rice.
Before serving, add a flavoursome pop of colour by placing 1 fresh basil leaf on each meatball.
Bon appétit with Monsieur Cuisine